Saturday, May 22, 2010

EDM613 Wk3 Free Post - Electives

After reading about motivation this week it was frustrating to begin to see next year’s master schedule take shape. My school began to unveil the class options and sections that will be offered next year. I will actually be getting one computer applications class (since I will have a masters in technology), but that means I have to give up my journalism class. Today I found out that journalism will actually be disappearing next year due to budget cuts. It has now fallen like many other elective classes.

I am also the tennis coach; so two periods a day I have students in classes who are excited to be in school. I have noticed when students have something to look forward to in school; they tend to do better in their other classes. The problem is, those classes that inspire students are the ones on the chopping block. It’s unfortunate that those classes are only viewed as extra “fun” classes when they teach just as much, if not more, real-world skills than the core classes.

One of my colleagues went to a conference last year where elective classes were the focus. They stressed the need to load the freshman year with as many electives as possible to encourage students to come to high school. There was a lot of data highlighting increased attendance, participation, and grades; and yet, electives continue to be expendable. I understand the role budgets play in determining course options, but motivation needs to be taken into consideration as well.

The debate centers back on standardized testing. As long as tests dictate curriculum, electives will always be expendable. I always viewed education as the means to develop citizens and prepare them for their next chapters in life, whatever that may be. It’s unfortunate that districts care more about the money linked to the student than who the actual person is. If only districts would take some chances and invest time and money into the elective courses they may be surprised by the overall outcomes.

1 comment:

  1. The conference sounds like a classic case of one hand not talking with the other (electives as enticemen/budget cut = no electives). ack.

    ReplyDelete