Saturday, May 29, 2010

EDM613 Wk4 Response to Kimberly Coast

BP-Week 4 Media Asset Creation: My choice- My Dream Teaching Environment

What is my dream environment where I want to educate?

My ideal environment to teach students would be a classroom made from an old planetarium. I watched the movie Meet the Robinsons with my children in the theater when it first came out and that home really impressed me. I think having my own school in a planetarium would rock! All the ancillary rooms would function as workshop rooms (classrooms) and the main planetarium observatory would be the main classroom. Each seat would be set up with connections for the students to plug in their laptops and school would be held as a great instantaneous collaboration. Students would have the collective meeting at the beginning and end of the day in the observatory and during the middle part they would go to the ancillary workshop rooms specialized in each of the academic disciplines. The morning collective group time would be for presentation of the problems of the day and the end of the school day would be for presentations of results.

Each of the classrooms would be set up with wifi, camera presentation presenters, ceiling mounted LCD projectors, long tables with stools in the central work area for collaboration, desks along the walls for quiet individual working time, audio system ceiling embedded, and smartboards for each classroom. I also think that a holographic table like in Ironman would rock! When are they going to make THAT reality!?! Several of the rooms would be converted into weight training, spin, and dance classes. Two large auditoriums would be necessary for music instruction, as well as adjacent practice rooms. The outer grounds would also have wifi and students could work in more of a natural environment with beautiful Japanese gardens, Italian pergolas and sitting areas, and wide walkways where students could walk and stay healthy while completing school work. There would also have to be a large outdoor amphitheater for music performances. I don't want school to be confined to the four walls of a classroom alone. I think that this school would have to be private and I want to be the principal in charge of curriculum and instruction. :)

What stands in between my dream job and me? Not much really. :) With the economic situation currently I bet there is a struggling planetarium somewhere that would sell for something reasonable and I bet there are private investors who would also like to see something like what I dream of creating. I need to get an administrator's degree to lend more credibility to the process, but aside from that I think a great investment marketer could help make that a reality. The holographic table could be our first project if it hasn't been made reality yet. :)

Do I deserve my dream job? I think that I deserve the dream job and environment because I can make it a reality. I think we do deserve what we can make happen. I also think that sometimes I get way better than I deserve because the right situation presented itself at the right time and I was lucky enough to be there. I also think that I can make things happen. The skills that I bring to the project are varied. I am very creative, dynamic, organized, energetic, and capable. I am credentialed in 5 subject areas. I have had many life experiences that have equipped me with practical skills. I have traveled the world and worked on numerous mission trips for 21 years. I'm not afraid of anything and I can get my hands dirty. I can build, draft plans, create landscaping plans, haggle/negotiate, plant, fund-raise, advertise, lead, direct, and provide vital encouragement and oversight to fellow workers. I have also taught every subject and have coordinated individualized educational plans. I think that I can make this happen. :) Who is on board???

Posted by Maestra Coast at 11:48 AM

1 comments:

Tom McNamee said...

I think you and I need to open a school together as you have described virtually the same set-up I would like to create. The bottom line is that we both know how important it is for students to determine their own education; it doesn’t work when teachers are trying to force-feed information. I love the idea of a main room for the beginning and ending of the day then various rooms around it for exploration. 

I also love how you have incorporated all the multiple intelligences into your plan making sure there were areas for music and kinesthetics. I don’t think we give students enough credit; I think they would be able to handle the freedom outlined in your vision. I also think they would rotate through the rooms as needed and interact with the various media tools. Perhaps the best part of your school is how hands-on it is. It requires constant participation, ensuring the students are always doing something.

May 29, 2010 2:11 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment