Monday, October 12, 2009

BP11_2009103_flickr

After looking through various lesson ideas for incorporating Flickr into the classroom I realized that by using Flickr we are supporting the arts.  Too often, it is the arts programs that get cut first in schools and teachers often don’t have time to focus on the creative side of their curriculum because they are too busy teaching to a test.

The saying, “a picture is worth a thousand words,” also kept running through my head as I did some research on Flickr.  As an English teacher, I always want my students to write more and be more descriptive.  Using pictures is a great prompt to ignite that idea.  Many lessons plans centered on the concept of taking a photo and interpreting it by posting a response, questions or creating a story.

         Another popular idea was to use Flickr as a prior knowledge-building tool.  For instance, when I teach To Kill a Mockingbird, students can find images that help show the setting of the 1930s to help students visualize where the story is taking place.  This activity can be done for any piece of work.  I do a similar version of the lesson when I teach symbolism; this year I may incorporate Flickr.

         The reason I like Flickr is why I like most web 2.0 tools.  They allow for an organized storage system, in which students can later access material.  I also like that students have the ability to comment on other pictures, which reinforces their communication skills.  The idea of having students create tags also requires them to do some critical thinking by analyzing what message they are trying to convey.

         Tagging the photos was actually a popular lesson that many teachers currently use.  Some are elaborate, printing out pictures and tags separate and having students try to figure out which match up.  I think any tagging lesson can be taken to great depths by having students place as many tags as possible.  Students like to stay on the surface and not dig any deeper in their thinking.  I would like to see Flickr used to really get students to think beyond the obvious and make connections they may not normally make.  I would also like to see lessons on analyzing why some tags are poorly chosen, with good explanations to back it up.


Flickr's most popular all time tags

1 comment:

  1. "For instance, when I teach To Kill a Mockingbird, students can find images that help show the setting of the 1930s to help students visualize where the story is taking place. This activity can be done for any piece of work." Aticus would become a "real" person in their minds - dressed appropriately with Scout on his lap in the right style of chair. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete